The American Red Cross unveils the new Hero Care Network mobile app. This app is designed to help members of the military, veterans and their families identify and connect to emergency and non-emergency Red Cross and other community services from anywhere in the world. Last year, more than 350,000 veterans and military families called the American Red Cross for assistance.
“When 80% of today’s military are millennials and their preferred means of communication are using smartphones or tablets to access the internet to get information, purchase items and access services – it just makes perfect sense to put Red Cross SAF services at the fingertips of the military and veteran communities,” said Koby Langley, senior vice president for Service to the Armed Forces. “Our congressional charter is to connect the American public with the needs of our military families, and 135 years ago, that meant hand delivering messages on the battlefield, and keeping paper records of community resources. Today, it’s mobile enabled technology combined with the best in class case-work and case management practices that allow our military families to reach us in person in 2000 communities worldwide, over the phone 24/7/365 or on the web or your iPhone.”
Allowing members of the military and veterans communities to initiate a request for Red Cross emergency services – which includes the ability to generate an emergency message, request assistance with emergency travel or emergency financial aid.
Some the important features of the app include:
Gives military families capability to securely store and easily access information regarding their Service member in the case of an emergency, and have their Service member update the information as they move or change duty assignments.
- Provides access to non-emergency Red Cross behavioral health assistance – financial assistance and free local Behavioral Health support workshops for military kids and spouses.
- Helps locate resources and information provided by trusted community partners.
- Identifies key government resources such as MilitaryOneSource, VA Benefits and Services, Department of Labor VETS, the VA Caregiver Support Program, and SAMSHA Veteran and Military Family Community Providers.
- The content in the app is also available in Spanish, and the companion call center is staffed 24/7 with multi-lingual translation services.
“I’m asking each and every one of you to take a minute and download the app to your tablet or smartphone,” said Langley “then I’m asking you to immediately forward it to a military family member, military friend or a veteran that you know could use it.”
The Hero Care App is free of charge and is available in both App Stores. To get the app, do one of two things:
- Text GETHEROCARE to 90999 to receive a link to download the app.
- Or, click on this link on an iOS device or Android device and you will be brought to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the app – http://3cu.be/sharehc